Velosolex Club U.K.

The only club for owners & enthusiasts, dedicated entirely to the Solex   

Forums

Forum Home > HELPFUL INFORMATION for getting a Solex U.K. REGISTERED > Sticky: Information from DVLA and HMRC for getting a Solex registered in the U.K.

Paul G
Site Owner

The following D.V.L.A. publication gives important and useful guidelines as to how to get a Velosolex registered in the U.K.

The areas greyed-out are not applicable to getting the Solex registered and should be ignored. Click on the text to enlarge.

The information above and the D.V.L.A. publication was updated in June, 2016.

--

Paul G

"Getting there ....... slowly"   

August 21, 2013 at 3:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

DJ601
Limited Member

All this is written in terms of registering a vehicle by the person importing it and at the time of bringing it into the country. I guess trying to apply this legislation to previously imported vehicles, being registered by somebody other than the original importer (possibly having no idea when it was brought into the country and by whom) is going to be potentially a bit of a pain.

Do you know whether this side of things can be cleared up prior to the actual registration process (ie before I get the MOT sorted out)

Cheers

Dave

August 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul G
Site Owner

Dave.

Since April 15th 2013, you have to apply to HMRC for the NOVA1 - even if the vehicle has been here for ages. It doesn't matter to them - except that that have to agree it has been here for years and there is not VAT to pay. Without the NOVA1 you will not get anywhere with the DVLA. Trust me. Apply online, fill in their form with all the relevant information (I put 1 mile down for the recorded mileage - it has to have some sort of number) and wait for the wheels to turn. In the mean time you can get it insured and MOT'd on the frame number whilst your NOVA1 is being processed. With the insurance, MOT and HMRC confirmation there is no VAT to pay you can start to get for V55/5 processed. Good luck!

B.T.W. My 3800 was bought on e-bay from a chap who bought it at Newark Autojumble in 1992! Told this to HMRC and they were quite happy with that.

--

Paul G

August 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kas-49cc ( THE SNAIL RIDES ON)

Just had a look Paul and what you state is spot on. I did get a purchase invoice when I bought mine and got him to put on it how long he had owned it.  But like you say without NOVA1 you go nowhere. (BE WARNED) We could all claim they are 45cc machines. I was thinking of doing that as a last resort. As of NOVEMBER it's all going to be done at Swansea after the local DVLA offices close. I don't think the online current system is geared up for private one offs. Lets hope they get their act sorted.

August 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob
Limited Member

Just posted on the other thread about this , how are people getting on ?

September 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob
Limited Member

Hi I have managed the on line form , I had to add a fictional import date and invoice number ! , I have received a email already saying the submission was succesfull and at the end of the application it explained no vat was to be payed, also after reading the notes it seems this is all I need to do ? See the below copy and past from the guidance notes:

NOVA online users will receive confirmation that they can apply to register and license their vehicle with the DVLA when any VAT due has been received by HMRC or HMRC are satisfied it will be accounted for on their next VAT Return.

Once this confirmation is received, 48 hours should be allowed before making the application to DVLA, to ensure that HMRC systems are fully updated. Customers do not need to provide the DVLA with any evidence that HMRC has been notified and any VAT due paid on the vehicle. The DVLA will be able to directly verify this with HMRC.

So it seems I can carry on as normal now , we will see ...

Rob

September 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hi Rob have a look at my post NOVA / DVLA   wait  48 hours then phone this number 01304 664171 I got fed up with the DVLA each time the put up a different block in the end they got in touch with NOVA1 HMRC and it was sorted  the whole trouble is the system is not for one offs its based for the trade. Good luck keep us posted  Keith

PS no NOVA!1 number NO V5c

September 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dave midds
Limited Member

Hi,         just recieved my v55/5 form  I have got to pay £55! ad-min cost associated with registering of the vehicle is this right?

--
January 31, 2014 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul G
Site Owner

Yes, £55.00 is correct. :(

--

Paul G

January 31, 2014 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nsallen04
Limited Member

hi all does anyone know how long it takes to get the v55 forms out of the dvla,as i have asked four times and still got none,two emails and twice i have spoke to advisers all saying they might have got lost or wait for the next lot.

March 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

7 to 10 days would you belive. Sent for some early last week. Like you still waiting DVLA are a law to themselves. Bring back local area offices!!!!!

--

The Snail Rides On ... aiming for 30+mph!

March 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nsallen04
Limited Member

i have just emailed them in their complaints dept,see what happens

March 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nsallen04
Limited Member

just had a email saying they will investergate,should get a reply in 3 days,i wont be holding my breath

March 11, 2014 at 2:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul G
Site Owner

If incompetence was electricity, the D.V.L.A. would be a very large power station!  :D

--

Paul G

March 11, 2014 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nsallen04
Limited Member

hi got the forms and another set the next day,filled and sent them off,lets see what happens,lets hope we get it sorted before pauls ride about 8 weeks,looking forward to a great day out.

March 16, 2014 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

William Harrison
Limited Member

Does this mean for your first MOT you don't have a number plate?

March 27, 2014 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul G
Site Owner

Correct. You can get an M.O.T. (and insurance) against the frame and engine number.

--

Paul G

March 27, 2014 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

William Harrison
Limited Member

Paul G at March 27, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Correct. You can get an M.O.T. (and insurance) against the frame and engine number.

Bit like doing my Kit car although on that I used the donor car reg.  Still waiting for the V5.

March 27, 2014 at 9:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

moxox

The blue 5000 I bought had a V5 and number plate, but hadn't been 'SORN'd' by previous owner despite being off the road for a decade - I thought I'd have a right hassle, but received a letter yesterday to say the application will be processed on 03/04/14 (rather precise!) and I'll get a V5, which is a relief..but no counting chickens yet...

March 27, 2014 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mickael

Hi, I got my Nova for the 330 and the 3300 and after 2 attempt to get the forms from the dvla sent , I got a pack (after 5 days since the last phone call)I guess the first one had not been sent.

I just need to decipher the forms on how to fill them , send them and pay the fees and hopefully I ll be able to ride legally.

March 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.